We all want our smiles to look their best, and thankfully, cosmetic dentistry can help them do that in many ways. Even though we try our best to care for our teeth, brush, floss, and we go to the dentist, bad things can still happen to our smiles that we are not prepared for. That…
How a Dental Filling Can Treat Tooth Decay
The treatment for a cavity is a dental filling. The onset of tooth decay manifests as small dots on teeth. Regular dental checks enable the dentist to spot the early stages of cavities. For some people, the discovery of cavities comes a little late. This is when a significant amount of filling can help. If you want to know how a dental filling can treat a cavity, here are the details.
What to expect
Being at the dental clinic at the time recommended by the staff will give them enough time to prepare and sanitize the treatment room. This ensures everyone’s health during the current pandemic. This will provide the dentist enough time to perform digital X-rays, discuss the results, and ask relevant questions before starting the treatment. Then, the dentist will conduct a visual inspection of the patient’s mouth.
The dentist will then start the treatment by numbing the area of the decayed teeth. Doing so will ensure the patient’s comfort during the dental filling procedure. The dentist will start drilling the decayed parts of the tooth once the local anesthetic takes effect. Cleaning out the cavity and etching it will follow. Etching it will roughen the space. This will make the filling stick better to the cavity’s walls.
The patient will rinse off the etching solution or gel. Drying the tooth will follow. The dentist will then fill the prepared cavity with the filling of choice. The process will only take minutes. The mouth will remain numb for the next few hours.
Types of available dental fillings
The dentist will offer different types of fillings available in the dental clinic. Choosing the right type of dental filling depends on the patient’s needs and preferences. The dentist will recommend fillings capable of improving the patient’s dental health. Here are the common choices:
- Composite fillings. These can be a combination of glass and resin. Composite fillings are good for small to medium cavities. Dentists like using composite fillings on teeth for a moderate level of chewing. These are the teeth between the front teeth and back teeth.
- Amalgam fillings. Dentists have been using amalgam fillings for at least a hundred years. An amalgam filling is a combination of metals. One of the metal components is mercury. The noticeable silver coloration of amalgam fillings makes them appropriate for the back molars.
- Gold fillings. This is an expensive and durable dental filling. Some people like the look of gold on their teeth. The color seems to announce an elevated financial status or trendiness. A gold filling can last for 10-15 years before the patient needs replacement.
- Glass ionomer. This dental filling is a combination of glass and acrylic. It releases fluoride into the cavity to help protect the tooth. It is less durable than the other fillings. A glass ionomer filling only lasts for about five years.
- Ceramic fillings. These are porcelain fillings. They are tooth-colored and stain-resistant. Ceramic fillings are ideal for front teeth. These are almost as expensive as gold fillings.
The right dental filling can treat your cavity and improve your dental health
Cavities can cause tooth loss if they do not get the right treatment. Routine dental checks can catch the onset of dental decay. Your dentist can suggest the right dental filling for your needs. Caring for your teeth needs help on occasion. Filling cavities can help maintain your oral health.
Are you considering getting a dental filling in the Los Angeles area? Get more information at http://www.yourlosangelesdentist.com.
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: Composite Fillings in Los Angeles, CA.
An appointment with a general dentist provides many benefits beyond cleaning the teeth. Oral hygiene is important to help maintain functions like chewing, swallowing, or speaking, but there is also a link between an individual’s overall health and oral health. Routine dental exams support good personal health.The body is a complex system of many parts…
Braces come with many benefits for patients, but one disadvantage that a general dentist may point out is staining. Stains are not an unavoidable result of having braces on for long periods of time. However, braces can make it harder to thoroughly clean teeth on a regular basis, which can eventually lead to stains. Here…
Dental bonding is a way to improve your smile by closing gaps between teeth without orthodontic treatment, repairing chips and cracks and fixing other minor cosmetic imperfections. This review highlights what dental bonding is, what the benefits of treatment are and when to consider dental bonding treatment to improve your smile. No one should have to…